The number of scholarships for nursing students has grown in the last few years because of our nation’s huge need for RNs, but do you know where to look for nursing scholarships? We’ve compiled a list of the currently available scholarships for nursing students to help you out if you’re looking for ways to help pay for your nursing education.
The following nursing scholarships include grants and are available to aspiring nurses from all walks of life and level of education, from freshman to postgrad. Take a look and see which of the following scholarships for nursing students may be applicable for you.
General Scholarships for Nursing Students
Nursing Organizations Grants and Scholarships
There are a lot of nursing organizations that offers nursing scholarships for students who are just entering the nursing field or are wanting to pursue graduate studies. Financial aids can also be available for travel and research assistance if the field of study benefits the nursing organization in question.
- Nursing Scholarship by the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners Foundation – Open to those wanting to be qualified nurse practitioners.
- Nursing Scholarship by the American Association of Colleges of Nursing – Awarded to outstanding nursing students who are studying for their master’s or baccalaureate degree in health care services.
- Scholarship by the American Psychiatric Nurses Association – Provides yearly scholarships and grants to qualified students studying to be in the mental healthcare field.
Federal Nursing Scholarships and Grants
Because we need more nurses more than ever, both your State and the Federal government are offering financial aids in the form of grants and nursing scholarships to qualified students.
- Nursing Scholarship Program by the Health Resources and Services Administration – Open to those wanting to be an RN but requires the recipient to be an RN for an under represented or underprivileged community for a minimum of two years.
- Nursing Scholarship by the National Health Service Corps – Open to students wanting to be a primary care specialist and are willing to work in medically under-represented institutions and communities after graduation.
Federal Nursing Incentive Programs
Nursing incentive programs by the federal government offer nursing students funds for a portion or for all the financial needs they have to complete becoming an RN. This is in exchange for working a predetermined number of years in a medically under-served facility or in disadvantaged neighborhoods. These Federal-funded scholarships for nursing students aim to get produce much-needed RNs. Examples are:
- Nursing Education Loan Repayment Program that requires one to work where assigned by the government for two years in exchange for partial or full payment of nursing college loans and
- Faculty Loan Repayment Program that helps health professionals from disadvantaged backgrounds to receive up to $40,000 in loan payments in exchange for agreeing to do service teaching and training.
Local and State governments may also have something similar (called loan forgiveness programs) so be sure to take a look into that as well.
U.S. Military Nursing Grants
Nursing students who need some financial assistance in getting a comprehensive education in the field of their choice are offered loans and grant programs provided that they pay back the grant or loan with military service.
The scholarships for nursing students that are granted by the U.S. Military are:
Grants and Scholarships for Special Groups and Minority Nurses
Aspiring nurses from various ethnic backgrounds may be able to avail of special scholarships for nursing students. Male nurses also have special scholarships for them in an effort to pull more men into the historically women-dominated world of nursing. Below are some scholarships for nursing students that belong to the minority and are still open for 2016 and beyond.
Ethnicity-Specific Grants and Scholarships for Nursing Students:
- American Indian Nurse Scholarship Award
- National Association of Hispanic Nurses annual grants and scholarships
- Alice Newel Joslyn Medical Fund
- American Nurses Association Ethnic/Racial Minority Doctoral Fellowships
- Barbara Rhomberg Excellence in Nursing Scholarship
- Cynthia J. Hickman “Pay It Forward” Nursing Scholarship
- Displaced Homemaker Scholarships
- Hilda Richards Scholarship
- Lauranne Sams Scholarship
- Elizabeth and Sherman Asche Memorial Scholarship
- Florence Young Memorial Graduate Scholarship
- Gannet Healthcare Group Scholarship
- Native-Hawaiian Health Scholarship Program
- LeGrande Trottman Scholarship
- Margaret Pemberton Scholarship
- Martha A. Dawson Genesis Scholarship
- Mayo Foundations Scholarship
- Morris K. Udall Undergraduate Scholarship
- National Black Nurses Association, Inc. – Kaiser Permanente Scholarship
- National Black Nurses Association, Inc. Board of Directors Scholarship
- National Black Nurses Association, Inc. – Nursing Spectrum Scholarship
- National Italian American Foundation Scholarship Program
- National Japanese American Citizens League Headquarters Scholarship
- PepsiCo Scholarship
- Rita E. Miller Scholarship
- Sequoyah Graduate Fellowship
- William Randolph Hearst Endowed Scholarship Fund
Female-Specific Grants and Scholarships for Nursing Students
- Lettie Pate Whitehead Scholarship Fund
- Walter Reed Smith Scholarship
- Young Women’s Alliance Higher Education Scholarship
Male-Specific Grants and Scholarships for Nursing Students
- AAC’s Behavioral Health Academic Scholarship Program
- Alexander Graham Bell Foundation College Scholarship Award
- American Legion Auxiliary, Dept. of Idaho Nursing Scholarship
- CNA Certification and Trainings CAN Scholarship Program
- Nursing Foundation of Pennsylvania’s Florence (Madden) Grady-Fasick Scholarship Fund
- ONA NPO Nanette Clapper Memorial Scholarship
- Tafford Nursing Scholarship
- The American Assembly for Men in Nursing Foundation Scholarships for Men
Scholarships for Ethnic Male Aspiring Nurses:
Scholarships for Nursing Students with Disability:
- Edward T. Conroy Memorial Scholarship Program
- Illinois AMVETS Sad Sacks Nursing Scholarship
- The Distance Learner MPH Scholarship
International Scholarships for Nursing Students:
- GotChosen $1000 Every Month Scholarship
- GotScholarship $40K Give Away
- International Nurse Development Scholarship
- International Order of the King’s Sons and Daughters Health Careers Scholarship
- Patricia Smith Christensen Scholarship
Looking for more grants and scholarships for American nurses? Discover Nursing has over 350 listed nursing scholarships which may include some from your State. The Nurse Fuel list of nursing scholarships above only features the ones that are still accepting applicants for this year. Be sure to bookmark this for updates!